On Friday, Oct 12th from 1:00-5:00 pm, Humboldt State University will be hosting a panel discussion on the Environmental Challenges of Marijuana Agriculture in the Age of Prohibition. The symposium will be held in the Native Forum Room 162, Behavioral and Social Sciences Building at 16th & Union Street in Arcata.
This two-part symposium will gather grassroots environmental activists, community members, and policy makers to discuss efforts to address the environmental impacts of marijuana cultivation. Panelists will review the impacts of marijuana agriculture and offer insights into the opportunities and challenges involved in addressing these problems. The symposium is sponsored by the Humboldt Institute for Interdisciplinary Marijuana Research and the Sociology Department. The event is free and open to the public.
Session 1: 1:00- 2:45 The Problem and Responses: Environmental Impacts and the Politics of Cannabis Agriculture
This panel of grassroots environmental organizers and policy makers will discuss environmental impacts associated with industrial marijuana agriculture, how current policy affects those impacts, and challenges involved in addressing environmental impacts associated with marijuana production.
Session 2: 3:00 – 5:00 pm Environmental, Cultural, and Economic Futures: Sustainability and Marijuana Agriculture
This panel of grassroots environmental organizers, community members, and policy makers offer perspectives on paths to environmental, cultural and economic sustainability.
The event will feature the following participants:
- Hezekiah Allen, Executive Director, Mattole Restoration Council
- Scott Geacen, Executive Director, Friends of the Eel River
- Gary Graham Hughes, Executive Director, Environmental Protection Information Center
- Tasha McKee, Executive Director, Sanctuary Forest
- Mike Downey, Humboldt County Sheriff
- Paul Gallegos, Humboldt County District Attorney
- Mark Lovelace, Humboldt County District 3 Supervisor
- Scott Downie, California Department of Fish and Game Senior Biologist
- Casey O’Neill, Community Member
- Kyle Keegan, Community Member
Contact Dr. Tony Silvaggio, Sociology Department, Humboldt State University at 707.826.3142 for more information.